An almost perfect Minidisc label printer

Everything minidisc
Daz-The Bionic Cyclist
Site Admin
Loading…

Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:29 pm

I've just been reminded of a problem with thermal paper... it fades.
If you leave the disc in sunlight, a warm place or a warm player, then the heat warms the paper again and it will fade the colour or worse still, turn white!

Get a till reciept from a shop, leave it in a warm place and watch it go blank.
One of the problems with the packaged labels that come with minidisc's, is that they are almost all white.
Sony, many years ago did create a custom label printer, and everything was great with the world.

Until Sony discontinued the entire Minidisc format, all media, players, software, and support ended. It was a bad day.
The printer is still available around the world, but don't bother looking unless you have a Saudi Prince for an uncle, and that's before you even consider the paper required to print.

Then today, a savvy user of the Minidisc Facebook group (Nick Liddington), spotted the Brother VC-500W printer on Amazon. Link below. (I don't get a penny from the referral, so click away).

He also bought a 50mm roll of sticky back paper (label paper), now neither are particularly cheap, but neither is ink, but the beauty of this combination? The minidisc label is 38mm x 53mm and some discs are 35mm x 50mm (so perfect for those discs). So not far off from perfect. Hence, almost perfect.
Also, it's a thermal printer... so no more ink.... EVER!
Brother VC-500W perfect for printing Minidisc labels
Brother VC-500W perfect for printing Minidisc labels
If you look closely you can see tht it doesn't quite fit the label recess, it's just ever so slightly short, but the alternative is A4 label paper, a traditional style ink jet printer, a steel ruler and craft knife, along with the continuous ink replacements.
Coloured thermal printing requires a high entry fee, and pricey paper, offset with the inconvenience of not having to buy ink.

I'm also impressed with the quality of the prints, the colours look very good, and the details also seem excellent.
Now I can tell you, printing an album cover at 38mm x 53mm using an inkjet printer on plain paper, the colours and details look a bit poor, and no amount of tweaking the original image brings this back.
So if you're in the market for a new printer, one that's much more convenient to use and you have the required entry fee, then at least take a look at what seems to be an awesome alternative.

You exchange your time for money when you work. You can always make more money. You cannot make more time.
Listen to some of my DJ sets
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=75

Tags:
Daz-The Bionic Cyclist
Site Admin
Loading…

Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:55 pm

Disc Window: 38mm x 53mm
Some discs are 35mm x 50mm
Disc Edge 3mm x 63mm

You exchange your time for money when you work. You can always make more money. You cannot make more time.
Listen to some of my DJ sets
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=75