battery problem. really low voltage 20.4v

Need to know how to take of bike? Look no further, just don't ask me, I'm bloody useless ;)
paddycork

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:55 pm

hello, i just bought a second hand carerra crossfire e bike. it didnt have the charger, the guy couldnt find it so i have just bought a new one from cycle republic https://www.cyclerepublic.com/chg-vp-e- ... arger.html

Before charging the voltage was readig around 31v. i plugged in charger and it was charging away and i checked the voltage periodically ( i think it was 39.5 last time i checked) and it was rising. just before going to bed i plugged it out and checked the voltage again and it was 20.4v,

I have just taken it apart today and tested the batteries and they are all reading 4v in their series connections.. any ideas cause im stuck and frustrated!

thanks

paddy

Daz-The Bionic Cyclist
Site Admin
Loading…

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:48 pm

Are you still having trouble getting this bike running Paddy?

I don't understand, the battery pack can't be 31v before charging and 20v after unless the charger is discharging.
Are all the batteries connected correctly, an undervoltage might be a bad connection?

Have you checked the individul cells, they should be charged to 4.2ish volts. You might also have some dead cells.
Is it possible a fuse blew to only half the pack?
It's definately strange after a positive charge that you get a sudden drop.

You could ask this guy:
https://the-bionic-cyclist.co.uk/2019/0 ... placement/

You exchange your time for money when you work. You can always make more money. You cannot make more time.
Daz-The Bionic Cyclist
Site Admin
Loading…

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:05 pm

Hmm. Reading your post again this morning and I can't help but wonder why the pack reached 39v. It's a 36v pack, and 39v is too high. This could have damaged the pack.

You exchange your time for money when you work. You can always make more money. You cannot make more time.
Daz-The Bionic Cyclist
Site Admin
Loading…

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:48 pm

My old but fully charged pack is showing 41.4V

My new pack with a 27% charge is 35.4V

The charger is a solid 40.4V - no load, and I think it's nigh on impossible to test with a load, I imagine it won't change much though, possibly only a few extra volts, as it's already 4V above the packs full charge of 36V
Crossfire-E battery charger<br />joycube SSLC084v42XH
Crossfire-E battery charger
joycube SSLC084v42XH
EXIF-Data show/hide
Original image recording time:
2019:07:13 13:37:10
Image taken on:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:37 pm
Focus length:
4.25 mm
Shutter speed:
1/34 Sec
F-number:
f/1.8
ISO speed rating:
Whitebalance:
Auto
Flash:
Flash did not fire, auto mode
Camera-manufacturer:
Apple
Camera-model:
IPhone XS
Exposure program:
Normal program
Exposure bias:
0 EV
Metering mode:
Spot
The only thing I can think of now Paddy is that your battery pack has died :sad: