GoPro Fusion Review

Reviews of Bikes, Shops, Service centre and Accessories
Daz-The Bionic Cyclist
Site Admin
Loading…

Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:46 pm

I've had a couple of Gopro camera's in my time, and my favourite is the Hero 6. A very expensive camera at £400 a couple of years ago, but it's quality is excellent, it has GPS tracking with things like Speed, height and climbing graphs and air time (when these work, as they are a bit twitchy).
So when Gopro launched the Fusion, a 360° camera with all the bells and whistles I've come to expect... I started saving.

Well it arrived today and ITS FUCKING SHITE.
The hardware is faultless, however it's the software that lets this camera down.
The name of the software LIES before you even start using it. Gopro Fusion Studio. THIS IS NOT EVEN CLOSE to being studio like software, ALL IT DOES IS STITCH the two 180 degree videos. AND THATS IT!

There is NO keyframing, so no moving from one angle to another, no transitions either.
You can do all this in Adobe Premiere, but who wants to spend yet another £20 (and that's PER MONTH), on top of the near £400 asking price.

If you want an excellent 360 camera and the ability to move things around and make your video intersting to watch... then you really need to look at the Insta360 One X

The hardware is on par with the Fusion, but it's software is UTTERLY brilliant. All those videos on Youtube that you see, you know the ones that show smooth transitions from one viewpoint to another, transitions from 360 to tiny planet to rabbit hole and back again, all buttery smooth and no cuts... the Insta360 One X does that.

THIS CAMERA DOESN'T! IT SUCKS.

To be honest, I was seriously butt-hurt by the Hero 6, the only video editing app this came with is called Gopro Quik.. again it's completely shit. It doesn't join the video segments into one long video, there's no editing ability and it also forces you to take all the segments and create a 2 minute highlite video.

There's a long running rumour that Gopro is in serious trouble, and given the quality of the software I'm not surprised. They deserve to suffer. Ironically it wouldn't take much work to improve their video apps and put them on top again. Their hardware is amazing... the software - POINTLESS.

This is the last gopro camera I'll ever buy.

You exchange your time for money when you work. You can always make more money. You cannot make more time.

Tags:
Daz-The Bionic Cyclist
Site Admin
Loading…

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:51 pm

My first ever Tiny Planet
PHOTO_0093_copy__1.jpg

You exchange your time for money when you work. You can always make more money. You cannot make more time.
Daz-The Bionic Cyclist
Site Admin
Loading…

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:32 pm

I've finally found a Windows Desktop app to create Tiny Planets... Corel PaintShop Pro 2019. 2 clicks and you're done. However it's not free, it'll set you back £54.99 for the full version, I do have an upgrade licence, so for me it'll be £39.99. All this is on top of the price of the camera.
That Insta360 One X is looking much more affordable now. The Gopro Fusion is only slightly cheaper, but all the extra software you'll need will make it much much more expensive.
All this extra software is NOT required for the Insta360 studio, it does it all.

Tiny Planet.jpg
EXIF-Data show/hide
Original image recording time:
2019:07:05 12:54:56
Image taken on:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:54 am
Camera-manufacturer:
GoPro
Camera-model:
GoPro Fusion FS1.04.01.80.00

Daz-The Bionic Cyclist
Site Admin
Loading…

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:38 pm

for video editing of 360 video files, the only thing I've found that works and does what I want it to do is Adobe Premier. At £20 a month it's a bit steep.
For photo editing and making tiny planets, I can recommend Corel PaintShop Pro 2019.

Daz-The Bionic Cyclist
Site Admin
Loading…

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:42 pm

This video shows how good the One X Studio is to use.

The Fusion on the other hand only stitches the two hemispheres together and this takes an absolute age to do. I then have to export the video/photos to Adobe Premiere or Corel PaintShop Pro 2019 for tiny planet photos. Both cost extra on top of the cost of the camera. The one X studio comes with the camera.

Sample video courtesy of
http://360rumors.com/

Daz-The Bionic Cyclist
Site Admin
Loading…

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Yesterday I went for a ride, to Oxenhope. I wanted to watch The Annual Straw Race:
https://www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/177 ... n-barrett/
But to be honest, I was too early and the traffic getting out would be horrendous, so instead of stopping I just kept going.

I did have the opportunity to try out my new camera though, the Gopro Fusion. Sure it's a fine camera, but the software is it's achilles heel. Exporting (stitching) a video to H.264 that's 75 minutes long takes around 2 hours , for pro-res 422 took 6 hours and it crashed at 75%. Luckily H.264 can be imported into Insta360 studio and it worked very well. It took around an 90 minutes to make the following video, with a render time of 10 minutes. Pro-res 422 is an unsupported format, so there's no chance of it working. The only problem with the output is it's VERY VERY fussy about resolutions, and often throws an error if the resolution isn't correct. I need to investigate this further.

Right so the video, the ride starts proper at 4:20. I had installed the gimbal I've been testing to the handlebar mount I usually use for the Gopro hero 6, and it was shite. Constantly losing track of where center is, falling down (it's quite heavy) and just being a pain. So I had to remove it and just throw it in my backpack. For future reference it only works as a chest mount gimbal. For everthinge else it's useless.

As for the editing, I can only say it's all new to me and it takes a little getting used to. Hopefully you'll agree that after 30 minutes or so the transition and styles improves and the ride looks much better.

I still wish I'd bought the Insta360 One X

Daz-The Bionic Cyclist
Site Admin
Loading…

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:40 am

The raw 360 video

Daz-The Bionic Cyclist
Site Admin
Loading…

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:01 pm

I've now been through a plethora of 360 photo hosting sites and tonnes of github code, and I've found nothing that really works for me.
I'd prefer to host the 360 photo's on this domain, and so far I've not found any code or scripts that will work well enough to be used as a BBCODE.

However I've found plenty that do work... for a monthly subscription fee, the minumum was £7.99 up £100 pm. Obviously these sites are aimed at professionals and not at tight fisted Yorkshire men like me.

For wordpress it's a different matter, there's a LOT of plugins that will take a 360 photo and turn it into a scene:
https://the-bionic-cyclist.co.uk/test/

I'll struggle on for now, but I will keep searching for a solution.

Daz-The Bionic Cyclist
Site Admin
Loading…

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:58 am

I found a solution at last.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=62