As you no doubt know, I’ve had an electric bike for over two years now, and it’s left a fantastic impression on me physically and mentally too.
About me, I’m 47 years old, I’ve smoked for over 30 years, I live in Halifax West Yorkshire (a VERY hilly town), I also suffer with depression and have done for 20 years. I bought this bike because I’d started cycling again the year before I tore my knee cartilage, and I struggled getting any power through my knees.
A few months after buying the Carrera Crossfire-E I had my knees fixed, and soon after I was back to normal.
So now you know I’m a prime candidate for using an e-bike, and so far I’ve done 2,000 miles on it. But how has it changed me?
- I now get out of the house more than ever and it’s all cycling,
- I have lost a significant amount of weight, and it’s stayed off (mostly),
- My mood improves every time I go out, and I look forward to going out too,
- Instead of getting in the car to go to town or Asda for a few bits, I jump on the bike,
- I can also keep up and even beat the wanna-be pro’s, especially uphill,
- If I did have a job I’d almost certainly commute,
- Hills are not an issue anymore.
- If you ride instead of driving then you get all this and save money on fuel too.
There’s also the issue of distance. Previously when I owned a non E-Bike (Specialized Myka) I could manage 15 miles and only with nearly a full year of prep, now I can manage as much as 45 miles. That is what e-biking is about, freedom, it’s this that makes such a positive change from driving the car, all the benefits of cycling without the stress and strain of normal bike riding.
You don’t need to be like me to benefit from an e-bike, anyone can and will benefit from using an electric bike, even commuting to and from work would be an improvement, both in speed and sweat. If you already commute on a bike then an e-bike would be faster and a lot less sweaty.
So if it’s something you’ve considered and would like to try, then pop into a local bike shop and try one out.
(True story). I went to PedalSport https://pedalsportshop.com/ for a new bike light and a few bits just after buying the Crossfire-E, and while they did sell me what I wanted they scoffed at the thought of an e-bike and one person even laughed in my face. I haven’t since been back and never will because of the sheer snobbery and arrogance of the staff. But look at them now.
— Giant Halifax (@GiantHalifax) May 7, 2018